Thursday, March 6, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is rapidly approaching. So America will have an excuse to go out and get drunk and wear green even if they don't come from an Irish heritage.

Coming from an Irish heritage, some might find it hard to believe that I don't wear green on St. Patrick's Day. I actually make it a point not to wear green. I do this for two reasons really.

1. I have my Irish background 365 days a year, not just one.

2. Patrick was NOT Irish. He was of English decent.

I am all for celebrating the work that Patrick did in Ireland. After all, he started a Christian movement unlike any seen in his time. Kidnapped into slavery, he could have given up, but he didn't.

What I am not for is celebrating his legacy as something it shouldn't be. This day should not be a day of getting drunk. It should be a day of reflecting on how he furthered the gospel and a day of reflection on how we have furthered the gospel.

I think of myself and when I find it dificult to witness to someone and now I have to wonder... If Patrick was able to witness after everything he went through, why can't I?

So join me this St. Patrick's Day in reflecting on how to further spread the gospel instead of further spreading the act of getting drunk.

No comments: