Saturday, May 31, 2008

Answers to Common Computer Questions #1

So here it is, the first question/answer post. I get asked "Why is my computer so slow?" all the time. The answer really isn't that simple.

There could be several things that are causing this.

It could be that you need more memory or a faster processor. With software and the internet evolving as fast as they are, computer resources need to evolve as well. You should ask yourself "How old is my computer?" If the answer is older then 3 or 4 years, you should really think about an upgrade.

There are some software related things you can do to help speed up your computer. I use the following tools to keep mine performing as best as it can.

1. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner (http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm)
This will help you find any files in the registry that no longer need to be there. The more orphaned files you have, the slower your computer will run. If you have installed and unistalled software, then there is a good chance you have orphaned files in the registry.

2. Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)
This program will search out and spyware you have living on your computer. If you have never ran a program like this, trust me when I say, you have spyware running on your computer.

3. Adaware (http://www.lavasoft.com)
This is the same kind of program as Search and Destroy. I run them both because it doesn't hurt and one usually finds something the other missed.

4. Defrag your hard drive.
There is no good software solution for this, plus Microsoft Windows has a tool built in. It can usually be found by going to Start >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragment. Your hard drive becomes fragmented because files are not saved as a whole. They are saved in pieces where ever your system can find space. Defragging your hard drive will reassemble these files and therefore your system doesn't have to work as hard to find all the pieces.

So that is what I usually do. These should be done on a regular basis. I wouldn't go more then a month with out doing these things.

Stay tuned for the next question/answer post.

No comments: